- Liver Function Test (Blood Tests)
- Ultrasound of Liver, Gallbladder, Biliary Tract and Pancreas
- Hepatitis B Surface Antigen Test (HBsAg Test)
The test results will be reviewed by a specialist in General Surgery. For further details, please click here to download the document.
Check-up time: 30-45mins
Do you know that smoking, drinking or sleeping late will damage your liver?
Tobacco contains many harmful chemicals such as tar and nicotine, which not only cause damage to lungs, but also affect the liver. In severe cases, it will increase the chance of liver cirrhosis.
According to the World Health Organization, alcohol consumption may lead to more than 200 diseases. When the accumulation of alcohol (aldehyde) in the body overloads the capacity of the liver, it will damage the liver cells, and may lead to alcoholic hepatitis, fatty liver, liver cirrhosis and even liver cancer. Alcohol consumption will also increase the occurrence of heart disease, stroke, gastritis, impotence, depression, colorectal cancer or esophageal cancer etc.
Stay late at night for work? Some Asian studies found that lack of sleep and late sleep are related to the occurrence of fatty liver.
Liver is very important for us. Impaired liver tinctions may cause a lot of harm to our body. Therefore, regular monitor of liver function is recommended.
Who need regular liver function tests?
You will not have any symptoms at early stage of liver diseases. Therefore, regular check of liver function is recommended (e.g. every year).
- Chronic drinker and smoker
- History of chronic liver diseases, such as hepatitis B / hepatitis C
- Have family history of liver disease
- Overweight, especially with history of diabetes or hypertension
- Have symptoms of liver diseases, such as yellowish skin or sclera (jaundice), abdominal pain, abdominal distension, passage of dark-colored urine or light-colored stool
- Take long-term medicines that may cause liver impairment
Ultrasound Scan of Liver, Gallbladder, Biliary Tract and Pancreas
Ultrasound scan is a non-invasive and safe examination. It uses sound waves to generate images of the liver, and helps diagnose the presence of liver cirrhosis, fatty liver, nodules or tumours in the liver.
Liver Function Test
Liver function test checks the levels of liver enzymes, bilirubin, albumin and others in blood. Liver function test includes:
- Liver Enzymes: Alanine aminotransferase (ALT/SGPT) and aspartate aminotransferase (AST/SGOT) are liver enzyme indicators commonly used to reflect the severity of liver cell damage. When the liver is damaged, the enzymes inside liver cells will release into the blood. If ALT and AST are elevated at the same time, liver damage is present.
- Bilirubin: Bilirubin is a product produced by the decomposition of red blood cells, which is excreted in the stool after being processed by the liver. If bilirubin level is elevated, it indicates liver damage, bile duct obstruction or hemolytic anemia, and you will experience yellowish skin and sclera severalized metrics.
- Albumin: Albumin is one of the proteins produced by the liver, which stabilizes the osmotic pressure between blood vessels and tissues. When liver function is impaired, the ability to synthesize albumin will decrease, resulting in a decrease in the level of albumin in blood, causing edema in the body.
- Alkaline Phosphatase (ALP): Alkaline Phosphatase is an enzyme that exists in the liver, biliary tract and bones. If the level of ALP is higher than normal, it may indicate liver disease, such as bile duct obstruction or bone diseases.
- Gamma Transferase (GGT): Gamma transferase is an enzyme in the blood. If GGT is higher than normal, it may indicate liver or bile duct damage. If both GGT and ALP are elevated at the same time, it may indicate problems in the production and delivery of bile, such as bile duct obstruction, liver tumors or hepatitis.
- Lactate Dehydrogenase (LDH): Lactate dehydrogenase is an enzyme in the blood. If LDH is higher than normal, there can be damage in the liver or bile ducts or heart problem.
- Prothrombin Time (PT): The prothrombin time records the time it takes for a blood sample to clot. The cause of elevated PT may be related to liver damage, or consumption of blood-thinning drugs.
Hepatitis B Surface Antigen Test (HBsAg Test)
It’s reported that 8 out of every 100 Hong Kong people are hepatitis B carriers. Approximately 25% of hepatitis B carriers will develop into chronic hepatitis, cirrhosis or even liver cancer. For patients with hepatitis B, cirrhosis or active hepatitis, their liver cells have been damaged to various degrees. Even a small amount of alcohol can damage the liver and increase the risk of liver cancer.
If the hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg) is shown positive in the blood test, it indicates that you are either active hepatitis B infection or a chronic hepatitis B carrier. You should contact your doctor for further testing.
- Clinic address: Suite 1412, 14/F, Ocean Centre, Harbour City, 5 Canton Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong
- Clinic opening hours: Mon to Fri 9:30am-1:00pm, 2:30pm-7:00pm; Sat 9:30am-2:00pm; Sun and public holidays closed
- Laboratory at One Grand Tower, Mong Kok
Terms & Conditions
- Once the online appointment and payment have been made, EJ Medical Specialist Centre will contact the customer during office hours to confirm the appointment and explain the notes before checkup.
- The customer shall arrive at the laboratory centre for checkup on the time specified and present his/ her identity document for identity verification.
- After the specialist in General Surgery of EJ Medical Specialist Centre reviews the test report, EJ will contact the customer for arrangement for test report pickup.
- Cancellation and Refund: If the service is cancelled more than 48 hours in advance of the appointment time, the payment will be refunded subject to the deduction of 10% of the payment as handling charges and administrative fees. If the cancellation is made within 48 hours before the appointment, the payment is non-refundable. If the customer fails to attend to receive the service on the time specified in the booking whether with or without notice to FindDoc for any reasons or events not caused by FindDoc or its affiliate, FindDoc will not refund the monies paid for the service.
- In case of any dispute, EJ Medical Specialist Centre and FindDoc will have the right of final decision(s).
EJ Medical Specialist Centre is a full-specialist medical group in Hong Kong. Since our establishment in 2014, our experienced healthcare and customer service team have been committed to providing comprehensive medical services to our patients in Hong Kong, Macau, the Mainland China and Asian Countries.
EJ Medical Group has more than 60 specialists covering 26 specialties across our network. Our medical centre is located in Ocean Centre at the Harbour City in Tsim Sha Tsui district. The Tsim Sha Tsui Centre provides specialty services including General Surgery, Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, Paediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Otolaryngology and Orthopaedics and Traumatology.