Information of Rotavirus Vaccine
- Vaccine Name: Rotarix
- Manufacturer: GlaxoSmithKline (GSK)
- User/ Target: infants 6 weeks and up to 24 weeks of age
- Dosage: 2 doses (oral use)
- Feature: It was approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 2008 to effectively combat 9 types of rotavirus infections.
Rotavirus is the cause of vomiting and diarrhoea in infants
Rotavirus is a contagious virus targeting infants and young children. It is the leading cause of severe diarrhea in children worldwide. A study by the Faculty of Medicine of The Chinese University of Hong Kong has shown that 1 out of 33 children under the age of 5 need to be hospitalized due to gastroenteritis caused by rotavirus infection.
Most children get the virus between the ages of 3 months and 35 months. Infections are more commonly seen in cooler months, usually spread from person to person. The primary mode of transmission is predominantly faecal-oral. Transmission can also occur through ingestion of contaminated water or food, or contact with contaminated surfaces (e.g. toys).
The incubation period of rotavirus is approximately 1 to 3 days. The disease is characterised by fever, vomiting and watery diarrhoea for 3 to 7 days. Severe conditions can cause dehydration, shock and even death.
Rotavirus vaccination can prevent rotavirus infection effectively
Rotavirus vaccination to babies is an effective way of preventing rotavirus infection. Currently, there are two oral rotavirus vaccines available, including Rotarix (2 doses) and RotaTeq (3 doses). The vaccine has not yet been included in the Hong Kong Childhood Immunisation Programme. It is highly recommended to choose suitable vaccines for your babies for more comprehensive protection according to your needs.
Rotarix vaccine schedule
The oral rotavirus vaccine Rotarix helps prevent 9 types of rotavirus, including G1P8, G2P4, G3P8, G4P8, G8P4, G9P8, G9P4, G9P6, G12P6.
Rotarix is given in 2 doses with the first dose given orally to infants beginning at 6 weeks of age and the second dose after an interval of at least 4 weeks and up to 24 weeks of age. There should be an interval of at least 4 weeks between the first and second dose.
- Side effects of Rotarix: Common adverse reactions among recipients of Rotarix included fussiness/irritability, cough/runny nose, mild fever, loss of appetite, vomiting or skin inflammation. The symptoms are temporary and will disappear on their own.
- People who are not suitable for oral rotavirus vaccine Rotarix: infants who have a history of a severe allergic reaction after a previous dose of rotavirus vaccine or to a vaccine component, infants with the rare disorder severe combined immunodeficiency (SCID) and with a history of intussusception, infants who are immunocompromised because of congenital immunodeficiency, hematopoietic transplantation, or solid organ transplantation sometimes experience severe or prolonged rotavirus gastroenteritis.
Medical Centre Details
- Address: International Medical Centre, 22 Des Voeux Road Central, Hong Kong (Please check in at the Central Reception at 11/F first)
- Opening Hours: Mon to Fri 9am-6pm, Sat 9am-1pm, Sun and public holidays closed
Terms & Conditions
- Once the online appointment and payment have been made, International Medical Centre will contact customers within 3 working days for appointment confirmation.
- The customers must show their identity documents and the appointment confirmation email sent by FindDoc on the day of the appointment for identity verification.
- The checkup plan can be used once by one person only. The plan cannot be exchanged for cash or other products or services. Also, it is not transferable.
- All plans are not for the purpose of medical diagnosis or treatment.
- All packaged items are fixed. In case there are any test items in the above plan being declined or not conducted due to any reason, there will be no refund or no exchange for such items.
- Cancellation and Refund: If the service is cancelled more than 48 hours in advance of the appointment time, the payment will be refunded subject to the deduction of 10% of the payment as handling charges and administrative fees. If the cancellation is made within 48 hours before the appointment, the payment is non-refundable. If the customer fails to attend to receive the service on the time specified in the booking whether with or without notice to FindDoc for any reasons or events not caused by FindDoc or its affiliate, FindDoc will not refund the monies paid for the service.
- In case of any dispute, International Medical Centre and FindDoc will have the right of final decision(s).
International Medical Centre (IMC) brings together the top experts in Hong Kong’s specialized medical fields and provides customers with the most professional medical services including imaging services, day surgery, endoscopy, check-up services, general and specialist consultation, such as cardiology, Gastroenterology & Hepatology, Cardiothoracic Surgery, Oncology, Pediatrics, Orthopaedics, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Urology, Neurosurgery, Psychiatry, Endocrinology-Diabetes & Metabolism, Geriatric Medicine, Surgery, Speech Therapy, Psychology, Dentistry and Physiotherapy.